Saturday, March 26, 2011

cars, driving, brakes, and Polymyositis!

Well, leaving a friend's house the other night I notices my brakes making this grinding noise. The next morning, still making the noise. So, off to the place where they fix your brakes, take your money, and you hope that they are being honest with you about what is really wrong. So, he says it's just the back brakes. That's a good sign...that's where I heard the grinding noise. Bad thing...he says it's down to the rotors? (hm, did I spell that right?) Anyway, a couple of hours and several hundred dollars later, I'm driving away with new back brakes and a warning to keep an eye on those front brake pads b/c there's about 40% wear on them. I stop at the first traffic light and notice how easy it was to hit the brake! Wow...all that hard pushing lately wasn't actually weakness in my legs...it was just bad brakes! How was I to know? My muscles have been so weak since being diagnosed that driving was difficult at its best in the last several years. I was thinking back...Four or so months after getting out of the rehab hospital I had to go back and be tested/evaluated in order to be released to drive again. They passed me, but I'm not sure what they were using to determine this on...I had no business being behind the wheel of a vehicle! I couldn't even move my legs ...I had to use my hands to lift my leg and move it between the gas pedal and the brake. It has only been recently that I'm not doing that (and sometimes I still have to). It is only by God's grace that I wasn't in or caused an accident. Now, you couldn't have told me that at the time, and if you had tried I think i would have either argued with you or curled up and died...probably the later at the time.

Anyhow, I have good brakes now and my legs/muscles are strong enough that 95% of the time I can move between the gas pedal and the brake without any problem.

No comments: