Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Back to the Gym

Today I went to the gym. This was the first time since being diagnosed with Polymyositis in 2007.

It kicked my rear end! And, all I did was 20 minutes! First I tried to do the stair elliptical machine...couldn't do that at all. I guess if I can't walk up stairs, I should realize that I can't do this machine! oh well. So, I ended up just using the treadmill for 20 minutes. I walked at about 2 mph only! In 20 minutes I made it 1/2 mile, according to the machine. My legs felt like jelly. I wasn't sure I'd be able to make it to the van afterward.

I've come a long way from when I was first diagnosed. It's taken 3 1/2 years, but I can walk with my cane, can lift things (not everything, but some), etc. But, doing things like going to the gym today is a reminder of how far I have to go...how far from "normal" I really am.

Still, I did 20 minutes at the gym. It's still better than it was a few months ago :)

1 comment:

Karen said...

That is so awesome, Tracy!!! Way to go, girl!!